Tier 4 Student Visa (Child)

You can apply for the Tier 4 (Child) student visa if you’re child is aged between 4 and 17 and you want them to study at an independent school in the UK.

  • have a place on a course;
  • have the consent of from you or a guardian;
  • have enough money to cover the course fees and living costs;
  • be from a country that’s not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland;
  • meet all the eligibility requirements.

What you can and can’t do

You can:

  • study at an independent school;
  • apply from outside the UK
  • apply to extend your stay.

You can also work, if you’re 16 or over:

  • part-time during term for up to 10 hours per week;
  • full-time during vacations;
  • on a work placement as part of your course, (but not for more than 50% of your course time);
  • as a student union sabbatical officer for up to 2 years.

You can’t:

study at an academy or a local authority-funded school (also known as a maintained school) or further education college;
    get public funds;

  • take a full-time permanent job or be self-employed;
  • work as a doctor or dentist in training;
  • work as a professional sportsperson (eg a sports coach) or entertainer;
  • settle in the UK on this visa;
  • bring in family members (‘dependents’) – if your parents want to accompany you, they’ll need to apply for a Parent of a Tier 4 (Child) visa.

Please read the full guidance on the Tier 4 (Child) student visa.


You must have:

  • an unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor;
  • enough money to support yourself and pay for your course – this will vary depending on your circumstances.

You should read the guidance for the full list of documents and how much money you’ll need according to your situation.

Please call us on 02085742488 to Discuss your matter further
Send in your enquiry now for FREE  initial assessment